Canberra School Excursions – Australia’s Best!
As a school excursion destination, Canberra is unsurpassed for its range of attractions, tours and interactive historical and cultural experiences. For many school children, the trip to the nation’s capital is a rite of passage, with an average 160,000 students making up Canberra school groups in the last year.
Securing its position as Australia’s best school excursion destination, Canberra offers students numerous exciting and engaging educational programs across a range of iconic destinations and landmarks, rich in Australia’s story, heritage and identity.
Popular attractions for Canberra school excursions providing educational tours in alignment with the Australian curriculum include:
- Australian Institute of Sport provides an opportunity to go behind the scenes of Australia’s premier elite sporting precinct. Each tour is guided by an athlete, giving insight to the world of training and competition.
- Australian War Memorial offers a facilitated education program with a focus on history and encourages Canberra school groups to explore their nation’s past.
- Canberra Museum and Gallery is an interactive learning experience in city’s heart celebrating visual arts and social history.
- National Archives of Australia specialises in education programs for primary and secondary students to gain insight into the events that shaped Australia’s past and present, and influence its future.
- National Library of Australia offers workshops and tours engaging students in Australian stories – from discovery, to bushrangers and Federation, as well as an understanding of the role of the Library, research skills and the chance to explore collections and galleries.
- Old Parliament House houses the Museum of Australian Democracy where students can research and ‘meet’ prime ministers online; or relax in the beautiful surrounds of the rose gardens.
- Parliament House is one of Canberra’s most popular attractions providing Canberra school groups with the opportunity to learn about Australia’s representative democracy in the home of Federal parliament.
- Royal Australian Mint is the sole supplier of Australia’s circulating coinage. Students are able to view the coin production factory from the observation gallery, see Titan, one of the world’s strongest robots, and mint their own coin.
In addition, Canberra school excursions have the option of adding any number of additional tours to their itinerary with popular destinations such as Questacon, Lake Burley Griffin, National Portrait Gallery, and other places of interest such as zoos, aquariums, gardens, monuments and national parks.
To cater for student-driven tourism, Canberra provides many accommodation options, with a focus on location and flexibility.
ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk is setting a new standard with its tailored approach to Canberra school groups and convenient location just fifteen minutes from Canberra’s CBD and 10 minutes from the airport.
Offering a unique setting among bushland with accommodation for up to 300 students and teachers, their all inclusive rates cover accommodation, breakfast, dinner and a packed lunch for day trips. ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk have a user-friendly booking system, with a support team in place to ensure Canberra school excursions run smoothly and successfully.
With such a range of culturally important attractions and programs rich in history and heritage, it’s no surprise that Canberra continues to deliver as Australia’s Best School Excursion Destination.